Idli is a traditional south Indian cuisine that you’ll find in every other household; these yummy rice cakes are also popular outside India too. Idli is consumed for breakfast, a serving of 3 idlis are very much enough to fill your tummy. Here I have mentioned the procedure to prepare Idli.
Ingredients for Idli Batter:
- Regular rice – 1 cup
- Idli rice – 1 cup
- Whole or split urad dal – ½ cup
- Black gram – 120 grams
- Flattened rice – ¼ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Water for soaking rice – 2 cups
- Water for soaking urad dal – 1 cup
- Water for grinding urad dal – add as required
- Water for grinding rice – add as required
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil as required to apply to the Idli moulds
- Water for steaming idlis – 2.5 cups
- Pick and rinse both the regular rice and Idli rice.
- Add water, Mix well, Cover and keep the rice to soak for 3 to 4 hours.
- Take urad dal in a separate bowl rinse it a few times.
- Soak the urad dal with fenugreek seeds separately in water for 3-3 hours.
- Drain the soaked urad dal.
- Grind the urad dal, fenugreek seed with required amount of water for some time, and then add remaining ¼ cup water. Grind till you get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Remove the urad dal batter in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Grind the rice to make a smooth batter.
- Mix both the batters together in a large bowl or pan.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cover and let the batter ferment for 8-9 hours.
- After the fermentation process is over, the batter will become double in size and rise.
- Grease the Idli moulds.
- Take a ladle full of Idli batter and Pour the batter in the moulds.
- Steam the idlis in a Idli cooker or steamer..
- Steam for 15 minutes or until the idlis are done.
- Serve the steaming hot idlis with fiery hot chutney and sambar.
- Remaining batter can be stored in the fridge for upto 1 week.