Dosa is a popular South Indian pancake or sour dough crepes prepared using rice and urad dal batter; it is the staple food for the South Indians. Since they are healthy and light, people in India usually in the Southern states of the country prefer having it as their breakfast or dinner. They are usually enjoyed hot and crispy with chutneys and sambhar. Prepared using tavas or iron griddles, they have become hugely popular in many countries including the west.
Crispy Ghee Dosa is a type of Dosa that is usually topped with clarified butter.
Ingredients for Ghee Dosa:
- 1 cup urad dal
- 3 cup dosa rice
- ½ tea spoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup beaten rice
- Oil (As required)
- Salt to taste
Method to prepare the batter for the Ghee Dosas:
- Soak fenugreek, rice and dal for about 4-5 hours before grinding them.
- Next grind them into a smooth batter by using a mixer or food processor. Make sure you use the water in which you had soaked them earlier.
- Now you should leave it to ferment overnight.
- You can also mix semolina to the already prepared batter for making the Dosas tastier.
- Add a pinch of soda to make the Dosas crispier.
Procedure to Prepare Ghee Dosas:
- Heat a pan or iron griddle.
- Grease the pan with little oil.
- Once the pan heats lower the flame and pour ladleful of Dosa batter.
- Use the back of the ladle to flatten the places where you find more batter.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of ghee round the edges of the Dosa and also on the top.
- Increase the flame until the side of the Dosa becomes dark golden brown.
- Once the Dosa becomes crispy, remove it from the pan.
- Serve Ghee Dosa with side dishes like chutney or sambar.